Microsoft Teams is a video-conferencing application that has become popular lately due to online education and work. If you are one who uses this app, today’s discussion will be beneficial for you. The reason why, the keys of the Windows keyboard, especially the arrow keys might not work in the application. We are going to look at the reasons plus solutions for this case. Arrow keys are not working in Teams due to various issues, but they can be fixed easily. Thus, keep reading till the end; everything is described well.
Why are My Arrow Keys Not Working in Teams?
These are the reasons that can be identified behind malfunctioning arrow keys.
- When there is an update in Microsoft Teams that still needs to be completed, some bugs can arise, including malfunctioning arrow keys. The desktop app updates itself, but sometimes there are updates you need to do manually.
- If there are cache files, these bugs can arise because of the unnecessary files and folders. Thus, Microsoft’s recommendation is to clear those cache files. It does not affect your Teams account or data.
- If you have enabled the ‘Scroll Lock’ key by chance, the arrow keys will not work. Some keyboards contain that key with indication light, while others have it on-screen.
- If you keep opening any applications at the same time, the arrow keys might not work properly. Then the machine needs to be restarted.
- If there is dirt, debris or some tiny particles underneath your arrow keys, it will be hard to click them.
How to Check Keyboard Settings in Teams?
If you want to check the keyboard settings in Microsoft Teams, here is what you need to do.
In the top right-side corner of the home page, you can see a symbol of three dots with the heading, ‘Settings and more.’ When you click on it, you will see a tab called ‘Keyboard shortcuts.’
Tap on it and see all the details regarding the keyboard of Microsoft Teams. If you want navigation with a screen reader, it can be enabled by pressing the Tab key. After that, you should click on the Enter button.
What will I Do If the Arrow Keys are Not Working in Teams?
These techniques can be followed in order to make the arrows move. Try the simple ones first; if they do not work, you can go for complex methods.
- Go to the Task Manager and quit the app. After that, relaunch Microsoft Teams again. Then check whether the keys are working.
- Sometimes, a restart might be enough to solve this issue. If you use the Team’s web client or desktop application, restarting the computer can mostly solve the issue.
- The behaviour of the keys can be changed using the ‘Scroll Lock’ feature. When this feature is disabled, the arrow keys might work. Go to Windows On-Screen Keyboard and de-select it.
- If there is an update to do manually, you need to do it to fix these types of bugs.
- Make sure to clear Teams cache files. In order to do that, you should delete all the folders in the directory. After that, you can reboot your pc if the keys still do not work.
- You can use Windows built-in repair tool to fix this problem. You should go to the settings. And when you select Microsoft Teams, there is an option called ‘Advanced options.’ Open it and select the ‘Reset’ button.
- Occasionally, you have to reinstall the keyboard driver on your pc due to the malfunctioning keys. So, go to the ‘Device Manager.’ Then go to the keyboard drop-down menu and right-click on the standard keyboard. Now you can click on the option called ‘Uninstall device.’ Again, you should click on ‘Uninstall.’ After that, you will be asked to restart the PC and allow it.
- Sometimes, the arrow keys may not work due to the dirt, debris or any other tiny particles that block its movements. Thus, use a can of compressed air to clean the keyboard thoroughly.
How to Update Teams to Resolve Arrow Keys Issues?
This is the procedure you need to follow for updating Microsoft Teams when the app does not update automatically.
- First, go to the Microsoft Team’s desktop application.
- Go to the profile menu you can see at the top right corner.
- There is an option called ‘Check for updates’; click on it.
- Then a message will appear to confirm the update. Click on the ‘Confirm’ button.
- You should wait a few minutes until the update is done.
- After the update is completed, a banner will appear at the top of the screen to make you aware. If there is no update to complete, the banner informs it too.
- Now you can tap on the ‘Refresh’ option. Then the application will restart.
Mostly, the app itself installs updates. So, you can check the version of Microsoft Teams and compare it with the latest version.
How do I Change the Keyboard on Microsoft Teams?
To change the default keyboard layout in Microsoft Teams, follow this procedure.
- First, open the control panel on your PC. Tap the ‘Search’ option and enter ‘Control Panel’ in the search box. Now tap on ‘Control Panel.’
- Insert ‘Add a language’ in your search box. Now tap on the same words.
- Then you should tap on ‘Advanced settings.’
- There are some other options for keyboard layouts underneath ‘Override for default input method.’ Choose one according to your preferences. After that, click on the ‘Save’ button. But you should add keyboard layouts or input methods at the ‘Change PC settings’ first. Otherwise, you will not see the layout or any input methods.
The arrow keys are mostly-need keys in the keyboard. But they might not work in the Microsoft Teams desktop application due to various issues such as a pending update, scroll lock key, etc. the method of fixing can vary according to the problem behind malfunctioning keys. Mostly, you can fix it by restarting the machine, relaunching or updating the application.
Watch this one,
Video Credits – Office Tutorials
You May Also Like