The simple answer to your question, ‘Do PC monitors have speakers?’ is an absolute yes. The PC monitors do, in fact, have built-in speakers. With this kind of setup, you don’t even need an external set of speakers connecting to your PC. You can actually play the sound using your monitor itself but remember that not all of the monitors available out there have built-in speakers.
Since we have so many types of monitors designed for different tasks and purposes, we will discuss whether all PC monitors have built-in speakers, how to know if your PC monitors have a built-in speaker, the benefits and limitations of having one etc.
Do PC Monitors Have Built-in Speakers?
As we mentioned before, not all of the PC monitors available out there have a built-in speaker system; we mostly get to see the speakers in monitors belonging to budgeted entry-level models. The built-ins are actually average sound producers. They don’t have the same quality of sound we get from external plug-ins. One of the quality built-in experiences on the speaker we found was the gaming monitor. Some expensive gaming monitors have high-quality built-in speakers giving out clear audio using their integrated sound system.
We have also come across some of the LG monitors with built-in speakers, but they aren’t that big of a deal when making the sound. It would be more suitable for lowkey music and movies. The monitors that are on the market for professional use, too, don’t have any built-in speakers in them, as they aren’t prioritizing them, speakers much.
How Do I Know if My Monitor Has Speakers?
We have quite a few ways for you to check whether your monitor has a built-in speaker. They aren’t a hard task at all; they are very easy methods to find. Here they are;
- Simply type in the specification for your monitor brand and model in a Google search. You will get to know from the list of specifications they give whether your monitors have any built-in speakers or not.
- We could also play something on our monitor, any music clip or video with sound. If your monitor is able to play the music clip with sound, you will hear it coming from the monitor. That way, you can find out.
- We also use the user manual of our monitor to check for any specification-related details that would give away whether there is a built-in speaker in the monitor.
- Another way to check is by using the device manager option available. If we have the monitor connected to a Windows computer, you could check whether your monitor is included as an audio output device; if so, it has built-in speakers.
- Another is to examine your monitor for the volume button because the built-in speakers have a set of volume control buttons on the monitor display or on-screen menu.
Pros and Cons of Monitor with Built-in Speakers?
There are many good and bad of having monitors with built-in speakers. Here are some of the major advantages and disadvantages of using monitors with built-in speakers.
Benefits of built-in speakers
- One common benefit we find in having a built-in speaker to our PC is that it actually saves a lot of space on our PC desk space. So, if anyone is looking to have a PC and monitor in a limited space or looking for a minimal setup, they are a good option.
- They are pretty convenient to use while also helping us save quite the space with no extra space or cost incurred for external speaker plug-in.
- The built-in version of the speakers is also giving the most basic form of audio we would need for carrying out our day-to-day tasks on the monitor, which needs minimal sound for gaming, edits, web browsing and other tasks.
Limitations of built-in speakers
- But when we compare the internal speakers of a monitor to that of our external set of speakers, the audio quality is much lower. Even the volume level in the speaker is of low quality because it lacks the bass or other immersive audio experience.
- These speakers aren’t suitable for users who want to have exceptional high-quality audio for gaming, professionals in audio engineering, content creation and audio producers etc.
- So, if you are someone whose profession is much more reliable in quality audio production, you will have to consider buying some high-quality speaker sets.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Monitor With or Without Speakers
There are some basic and important factors you should consider when you choose to buy a monitor, regardless of the presence and absence of speakers that are in-built.
One pretty basic factor to consider is the size of the monitor. Depending on your profession, you should choose the monitor that suits the potential of your work nature.
Next is the resolution of the monitor. Depending on what you’re using the monitor for, get the resolution that qualifies for your needs. For example, if you’re working on designing games or animations, graphics and other movies and music videos, you will need a high-resolution monitor.
Make sure you also give thought to the video inputs like the HDMI, VGA, display port and DVI. The best so far to choose is the display port, for it gives the best at 60 frames for a second, which supports 3840 x 2160 or 4K. The next choice would be HDMI with the typical cables and audio signals.
The main features are also another factor you should be focusing on. The features include a curved display, adjustable height, touchscreen interface, USB hub, built-in speakers, SD slot, hardware vertical sync and higher refresh rates.
Finally, another main factor is the budget you’re setting up for purchase. Different monitors have different price ranges according to the number of features they have. Depending on the features offered, the price ranges from $150 to $350, maximum from 24-inch to 72-inch 4K monitors.
Why Does My Monitor Not Have Sound?
Your monitor won’t make a sound when the speaker configuration is done incorrectly or when the cable is not connected properly. Sometimes we mistakenly mute the sound; when that happens, too won’t hear any sound from the speakers. To find out what exactly is wrong, you could do a sound test by playing something after adjusting the connections, the cables, and the volume for the sound to come back.
How to Get Sound from a Monitor Without Speakers?
There are actually a few ways to get sound without the speakers. Here are some of them you could try;
- One way to get it is by using the HDMI connections; first, check for updates on the sound driver; you could use the HDMI to unlock the in-built speakers of the monitor. Or it could also connect to wireless Bluetooth systems or speakers like the JBL.
- Another method is using the audio output jack, where you connect one part of the audio cable to the headphones of the computer and the other part to the speaker system of the device.
- One other way is using the sound system of devices like the PlayStation. You could integrate the sound output with a digital audio port in the console.
- You could also connect the PC monitor to Bluetooth, and you could actually get sound without connecting to speakers when you’re doing this.
VIDEO CREDITS: Make Knowledge Free YouTube Channel
Continue Exploring: More Articles to Keep You Engaged